What Landlords Need to Know Before Going Overseas

Important information for landlords who like to travel overseas and currently manage their own properties.

What Landlords Need to Know Before Going Overseas

If you own a rental property in New Zealand and will be out of the country for more than 21 consecutive days then by law you must appoint an agent who can act on your behalf. This means that if the tenant has any issues they would normally bring to your attention, they will need to contact your agent instead. This could include any repairs that need attending to. 

You can appoint anyone to be your agent, but it is recommended by Tenancy Services "that you should appoint someone who is fully aware of, and able to fulfil their responsibilities as your agent." Some landlords choose to engage a professional property manager for this role; others appoint a friend or family member.

Once you have appointed an agent, you’ll need to:

When you return to New Zealand you’ll need to tell your tenant and Tenancy Services that you are back and taking over from your agent by filling in the same form.

If you would like to know more about how Click Property Management could help just give us a call on 0800 125 425 or email we may even be able to offer a great package making it beneficial to work together all year round!

Let us Keep You Up-To-Date